[Survival] The Future of Survival

Noodlesticks

I noticed that the survival server was down, and I was worried that I'd be losing months of progress on what I had been working on due to some sort of reset. There is a massive legacy behind the builds and warps of the world, and many people have lots of hours spent on work that they've done and also simply being part of the survival community. It'd be a massive shame to see the world completely reset with absolutely no way to save our work at all, so I'm suggesting that there be a way to keep the survival server thriving without having to resort to a reset and if absolutely required, give players a way to preserve their work.

For the nonreset option, I'm hoping that the server can continue on the same overworld world that it's currently on now, but maybe provide a nether/end reset periodically (it doesn't have to be often), or even if there are no regular resets, to keep the world the way it is right now.

There is currently no warning or info at all about incoming resets for the entire server in general, so it'd be nice to also know when a reset is coming so people don't have to deal with the crushing feeling of regret after seeing the server silently wipe months of work away. While I can understand why silent resets might apply to the other servers which do regular resets, the core survival experience is to be able to see your work day after day and build, expand, and interact with others in your builds - this is something that the current reset format wouldn't work for. Survival is not a competitive, money-incentivised server, but more of a community-based, friendly survival environment where resets should be minimum and the community should be well-aware of an upcoming reset (at least just for survival).

If a reset has to happen, I think that it'd be nice to provide a download for the world file - it could even just be a temporary download that lasts 1-2 weeks - just to preserve the memories and work that so many people have put into effortful builds. It could be the cheapest option available or the slowest download format, as long as the community is given the choice of being able to save their work, I think that would be great for alleviating the harsh consequences of a reset.

I know that this will probably never be considered and likely will never be read, but I'm hoping that this option is at least considered as survival is not the same as all the other realms. Plus, there is no information at all about why the server is down, and I'm seriously hoping that this is not a reset as I'd like to just see my builds one last time before everything disappears forever.

Thanks,
-Noodlesticks

Noodlesticks

It'd also be nice to at least get the world seed, since that doesn't require a place to host the world download and is really just a string of numbers that could be put in a forums post in case a reset occurs. I think the survival community would greatly be grateful and appreciative of a world download, but getting the seed is better than nothing!